iFly Development Team Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > iFly General User Forums > iFly General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions before purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gfbk4life1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions before purchase
    Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:00am
I am thinking about buying this aircraft now after the service pack has come out and most seem to be happy with it. I was windering if my computer can run it smoothly. I have some add-ons like REX and fsdreamteam kdfw stuff like that and get good frame rates. The I fly looks quite crisp and complex and just seeing if i would get good frame rates with my computer. Heres my specs:

windows xp media center Sp3
intel pentium D 2.8ghz
2.79 ghz 2.25 gb of ram
nvidia geforce gt 240 512mb
JPVisser View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPVisser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:08am
I think you'll manage,
I'm getting good results on an AMD64 3800+ @ 2.40ghz, 2 GB ram
with a GF6600 256MB and two SATA 1tb hdd's as well as an IDE 40GB hdd.
gfbk4life1 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gfbk4life1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:12am
what kind of frame rates are you getting?
keenrw View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keenrw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:14am
Hi

My PC is not much better ..
AMD 64 4000+ ..2GM ram ..GF7600GT ..running windows XP and im more then happy with it , i cant use the VC landing at complex airports but im a 2D panel pilot for Airliners any way (VC for VFR GA stuff)..

Rich

keenrw View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keenrw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:15am
Also dont forget .., you can make use of the 30 day money back.. so you have nothing to loose .

Rich
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gfbk4life1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:17am
i like to use virtual cockpit but i dont want low fps and shuttering i have pmdg 737 and get good fps around 20-25 but this aircraft is much more complex looking so i just want to make sure before i buy.
Leffe View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by gfbk4life1 gfbk4life1 wrote:

I am thinking about buying this aircraft now after the service pack has come out and most seem to be happy with it. I was windering if my computer can run it smoothly. I have some add-ons like REX and fsdreamteam kdfw stuff like that and get good frame rates. The I fly looks quite crisp and complex and just seeing if i would get good frame rates with my computer. Heres my specs:

windows xp media center Sp3
intel pentium D 2.8ghz
2.79 ghz 2.25 gb of ram
nvidia geforce gt 240 512mb
Hi!

You could manage it, however with no 64-bit XP or Win7-64-bit Iīm afraid you on a longer haul, will have OOM. You could of course patch your XP-32 bit also, but there could then be other peculiar things. But I have to say many are satisfied when they had patch it.

Nevertheless...a 64 bit and a patched FS9 exe, itīs the best way to go......

iFly is a very complex and nearly like the real thing (those real pilot says so).....Itīs a 5 star ac.

You wonīt regret to get your hands on this....
Leffe

i7 2600K OC 4,3 GHZ,
EWGA 1,5GB-Corsair 16GB RAM
Antec H20-920 Cooler,
MSI P67A-GD80-Win7x64
keenrw View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keenrw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:23am
As i say you can get your money back easy .. i have had to use the F1 return system once or twice .. it may run fine on your PC as you have one of the newer graphics card .. im not sure how it stands up to the 7600GT and my graphic settings are quite high .. so best way is to give it a go and try for your self .

Rich
keenrw View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keenrw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Leffe Leffe wrote:

Originally posted by gfbk4life1 gfbk4life1 wrote:

You wonīt regret to get your hands on this....

+1

Rich
JPVisser View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPVisser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:56am
Leffe,
I've been flying XP SP3 with 2GB ram for ages and I can
manage long hauls just fine in the iFly,
so expecting to get OOM's just because of config is kinda silly.
As lon g as your PC is maintained well you should not receive OOM's
or other nasty things.

Most OOM's I get are retracable to scenery, they hardly ever have to do with the aircraft.
Last OOM for me has been with the frankfurt real ops which is a long time ago and
was related to a lot of traffic on vatsim.

As for the framerates, mine hover around 24 and are capped at 24.
I hardly ever get below that.

Leffe View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 12:32pm
Ok,....You are lucky then ainīt having UT-texture Gr-env Pro and all  kind
of fanzy sceneries then.

Thereīs no way in the world, flying over an area for several hours, with those above if it isnīt eating lots of VS of memory. I had more than 1,7GB used when I had XP-32 bit and BAAAM.....OOM.

But I ainīt interrested in arguing this with you. You belive what you belive and I belive what I belive. OK!
Leffe

i7 2600K OC 4,3 GHZ,
EWGA 1,5GB-Corsair 16GB RAM
Antec H20-920 Cooler,
MSI P67A-GD80-Win7x64
Rafal_H View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rafal_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 12:51pm
My flightsim desktop is:
- IntelCore 2 Duo E8400 3GHz
- 4 GB RAM DDR2
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT

I'm on Windows XP 32 Home PL.
I did suffer OOMs, using a lot of demanding addons together (planes, AI, weather, UTE, GE, HD textures, etc).
So I have applied the 3GB switch. Zero OOMs since then and no side effects observed. Highly recommended (unless you will go for a 64 bit OS)!

As for iFly performance, I would describe it as average.
For me there is a huge difference between FPS levels when in 2D and 3D.
Airborne with fair weather I'm getting around 30-50 in 2D and around 20-25 in VC.
In bad weather at busy airports (where I usually fly) VC FPS can drop to a dozen at times.
But it is a complex addon with high fidelity systems and a visually appealing virtual cockpit.
So there must be compromises somewhere. If we want all the latest bells and whistles, we need to invest in hardware from time to time.

Until not long ago I was a long-time die-hard 2D flyer. Now (thanks to iFly? Maybe...) I'm slowly switching to VC flying.
As my TrackIR4 died last year, I'm using Active Camera and start loving it.
That's how I noticed my iFly FPS are significantly lower in VC, which not always is the case with other addons.

Anyway it is an excellent plane I can't stop enjoying.
Until I save enough money to change my PC into a better one, I can live with ~20 FPS. Wink

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gfbk4life1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 10:51pm
well everyone i went ahead and got it and all i can say is wow this is nice more to come as i crack open a few cold brewskies and tinker with this awesome aircraft
jagabom View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jagabom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan-15-2011 at 11:01pm
You won't regret it,  I didn't.  You can always return it but I bet a couple of those cold brewskies that you won't. 

Jim
CYWG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic