iFly Development Team Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > iFly General User Forums > iFly General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is iFly better then PMDG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is iFly better then PMDG
    Posted: Sep-22-2010 at 8:06pm
Hi all,

I own the PMDG B737.  Have just about since it's been out.  Now a new B737NG comes out.  I have not bought it yet.  I am not trying to cause trouble but why is iFly better?  What exactly is better?  To be honest I am a little miffed about not being able to read the issues people are having.  Having said that, I am still interested in this bird.  Screenshots are awesome.  I don't want to be flamed or anything.  I just want to know why I am going to spend $55USD for another B737.  If the moderators think I am out of line I am sorry.  It was not my intention.

Sincerely,
Pat Callaghan
banjob73 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjob73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-22-2010 at 8:19pm
Pat,
Try it and see for yourself.  Flight1, the publisher, offers a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't think it's worth the money.

Sincerely,
Bob

Dillon View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-22-2010 at 8:44pm
There's discussions about this topic in various FS forums.  Go to Avsim in the FS9 forum and you'll find your answers (that's just one of the areas I've seen out there).
jeffreymg View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffreymg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-22-2010 at 9:09pm
I do not think that we need to start a us vs them thread when simmers get upset when that is done on the other companies web site I know I do.
Their product is old for FS9 and this one is new and everyone here know that when their 737NG comes out and the IFly for FSX comes out this is going to get into a very heated debate.
                                        JeffG
Jeffrey Gerbert
FLIGHTSIMFANATIC View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLIGHTSIMFANATIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-22-2010 at 10:56pm
Every one has their favorite and having owned both I like this better, but some like PMDG. I still love PMDG's MD-11.
fungswat View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fungswat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 12:41am
This moment, PMDG 747 and MD-11 is awesome

However, 737 is erally an old product from PMDG

Compare with iFly, it is new, more fuctions, near to real.

Just try and experience yourself
Rafal_H View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rafal_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 3:20am
Originally posted by jeffreymg jeffreymg wrote:

I do not think that we need to start a us vs them thread when simmers get upset when that is done on the other companies web site I know I do
I agree! That doesn't make sense.

I own PMDG and wanted to find out what the difference is too.
The best and actually the only way (since everyone feels different) is to buy and check.
I did and I am very glad with iFly. Ditto.
Steve Masson View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Masson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 4:49am
I would like to thank everyone for the way the post has developed. I think every simmer has been impressed how PMDG have raised our expectations for accurate aircraft. The iFly 737 has been developed to stand on it's own merits.

I think everyone has been suprised by the reaction to the release of the aircraft and if nothing else shows that if you produce a good product for FS9 there is still demand.
Cheers

kitte View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 7:05am

I've been flying the PMDG737 since its release for MSFS2002 and it's actually the plane I've flown the most of all the payware add-ons I have (which is a lot). What I appreciate about PMDG737 is it never ever gives me any kind of naughty surprises and it just feels like an old friend. I can operate it with my CP Flight MCP hardware and I am always able to finish my VATSIM flight without something going haywire!

Anyway, I think the iFly has a fantastic VC and since I always fly in VC using TrackIR, that is a huuuge merit. PMDG's age certain shows in that area. On the other hand, while the VC is wonderful I also have some serious problems operating it properly, eg if I hover over the taxi light switch it will actually operate the APU switch. If I lean "inwards"so that I don't get an angled view on the overhead, it works better but it's still a nuisance. I'm also AT THIS POINT very frustrated at operating the MCP with the mouse, but Steve Masson has indicated that perhaps my CP Flight MCP will be supported and will totally take care of my problem. But right now it is actually keeping iFly 737 more or less in my hangar.

On my yesterday's flight on VATSIM KLAS-KLAX I tried handflying the departure, LNAV and VNAV armed but not engaged, but the FD just pointed straight forward and not tracking the route. I operate the airplane as I've operated the PMDG737 which of course might have taught me some wrong habits but the same procedure works correctly in LevelD767 and PMDG747.

Despite my criticism I think the airplane has VERY HIGH potential and while it hasn't replaced my PMDG 737 yet (but I'm confident it will) it's an incredible attempt by such a small and to me new team! Very importantly they also seem dedicated and listen to their customers. In your shoes, if you have the money, I would definitey bring out the credit card!

/Krister

/Krister
EFMA Finland
kitte View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 7:17am
Ahem.. I guess I could have left out my "rant" and abbreviated my post to "the PMDG is old, tried and tested while the iFly is new, has bugs (as the PMDG did) but also a seemingly dedicated team behind it that will bring out its full potential (as the PMDG did) "
/Krister
/Krister
EFMA Finland
ayster View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 8:23am
Hi Pat,

I re-installed fs9 for this addon and have to say that it was worth the effort to find the disks, re-install fs9 and then install my old addons (i had ditched fs9 in favour of FSX).

I did this because I wanted to see what the iFly was like after seeing all the positive comments on the old forum and also seeing how hard the team behind the plane have been working to fix up the initial bugs. Plus, I was desparate for a new all singing, all dancing 737 NG! (I also have the old PMDG NG for fs9, which was amazing for the time it was released)

The beauty of buying from Flight1 is their refund policy, effectivly meaning that you can try the software for 30 days and if during that time you decide that you don't like it, you simply uninstall it and apply for a refund.

So far I like what I see and the support on here is excellent, Steve is always on hand to give a speedy response and to pass on anything he cannot answer himself to the developers. The plane does have some bugs which are being fixed up by the team in the form of an interim patch to fix the most urgent ones, followed by a service pack to catch the rest. I haven't come across any showstoppers in the flights I've done up to now though.

Hope that helps in your decision a little
Cheers,
Ayster

patcal View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 9:56am
Thank you all for your replies.  Since I intend on staying with FS9 for at least the immediate future, the iFly will have to be purchased.  I do not fly with the VC as I am very old, stuck in the mud so to speak.  I am glad this post did not go downhill.  I think the only decesion left is buy now or wait until the SP comes out.  Thanks again to all.

Pat Callaghan
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLIGHTSIMFANATIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 10:13am
They have the best customer support right now as they really do care about their customers and that is rare these days.
luis70 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luis70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 10:54am
Originally posted by FLIGHTSIMFANATIC FLIGHTSIMFANATIC wrote:

They have the best customer support right now as they really do care about their customers and that is rare these days.

I´m thinking about some developpers who made an Airbus that I´ve paid for and .... I´m still wating for it since ..... Confused

guess who they are .... and compare it with the great support we´re recieving from Flight1/Ifly
ayster View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by luis70 luis70 wrote:

I´m thinking about some developpers who made an Airbus that I´ve paid for and .... I´m still wating for it since ..... Confused

me too! :(
Cheers,
Ayster

airfrance View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 1:23pm
The iFly 737's model is also much, much better. No offense to those who still like the PMDG 737 but I think they really got the model wrong. The fuselage was ok but the look of the engines was way off and the winglets looked like they belonged on a 767. Also, they got the flaps way off. The flaps on the PMDG model looked nothing like a real 737NG. iFly got all of these things spot on. Every aspect of the model is 110% ACCURATE. PMDG did improve with the 747 and the MD-11 but the 737 was a much earlier product and technology has really advanced since then, which the iFly clearly proves. Those using the PMDG 737 should really dump it and move on to the iFly as a well worth it upgrade. It's worth every single penny. Really great support if needed and the creators are already working on new things such as patches and updates to continue to make it better and better. You won't be sorry adding this to your fleet! 
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLIGHTSIMFANATIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 1:51pm
I just pray that ifly makes more aircraft, I'll beta test!
flyinpilot212121 View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyinpilot212121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 5:12pm
The PMDG was/is a good aircraft for its age, having said that In my own opinion the IFLY has got pretty much everythong over the PMDG, from model to 2d cockpit top virtual cockpit to systems to FMC etc.

Again this is soely my opinion and not that of anyone elses, different strokes for different folksWink
Hooorrraaayyyyy for IFLY,Flight1 and FS2crew

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLIGHTSIMFANATIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-23-2010 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Steve Masson Steve Masson wrote:

I would like to thank everyone for the way the post has developed. I think every simmer has been impressed how PMDG have raised our expectations for accurate aircraft. The iFly 737 has been developed to stand on it's own merits.

I think everyone has been suprised by the reaction to the release of the aircraft and if nothing else shows that if you produce a good product for FS9 there is still demand.

I so agree with you and before I even knew about you guys I was arguing this point on the PMDG forums to no avail as they are convinced that the world gave up on FS9, well nothing could be further from the truth, FS9 is alive and well.
Sunstarair View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunstarair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-28-2010 at 3:51pm
Hi Pilots!

Just two points:

First:  READ THE TUTORIAL

Second: READ THE MANUAL

And then you will see/know/feel/experience the difference between PMDG and iFly -and you will understand!

(Alright, it´s a hard work - but there is no other way. Otherwise there is only: Oh, the iFly looks so nice, has such a pretty virtual cockpit ..... only blablablabla!)

Happy Landings
Gerhard

iFly 737 - what else?

Sunstarair
www.sunstarair.com
Steve Masson View Drop Down
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Masson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-28-2010 at 3:56pm
Reading the manual and flying the tutorial will improve your understanding 100%

Thank you for your kind comments Gerhard.
Cheers

Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLIGHTSIMFANATIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-28-2010 at 7:08pm
I just sit and stare at the VC and marvel at it's beauty and wonder how they made it look so good and not destroy frame rates, absolutely amazing!
FSXtreme View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSXtreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-28-2010 at 11:58pm
" The iFly 737 has been developed to stand on it's own merits."

This is exactly what it does.  I have not been able to stay out of FS9 since I purchased the iFly 737. Even though I was spending much more time in FSX.
It feels to me to be very accurate to what I believe it would be like flying a 737. Even when I cut off the autopilot and hand fly the aircraft.
I love the fact that you were able to get so many systems to function.  It is a pleasure to fly and I'm really having a lot of fun with it.
The sound is also terrific.  I won't be replacing them like I do with most others.
I look forward to the FSX version simply because I would like to use EZCam with it and fly over the Orbx Pacific Northwest scenery. But I can wait because FS9 has a lot of benefits too.
You guys have done a wonderful job with this aircraft.  PMDG's will have its strong points, but the iFly version certainly carries a lot of great features and will hold it's own.  A real advantage is that I can fly it today and I'm getting quite "at home" with it.

Shane View Drop Down
Licensed Member
Licensed Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep-29-2010 at 12:04am
Originally posted by airfrance airfrance wrote:

Every aspect of the model is 110% ACCURATE. 

I am going to have to disagree with you there. The nose on the iFly is somewhat inaccurate (this can be verified from pictures on Airliners.net), the winglets are not rounded enough, and the wings need a little more flex or the engines look like they are set to low in flight.

Having said that, these things are being looked into, IIRC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic